Career confusion

When I was a kid, like a really small kid, I had a dream of becoming a teacher or a doctor. As I grew up a little I realized that becoming a doctor was indeed not an option. (As I used to watch my aunt lost deep in books all the time) Still I was in favor of becoming a teacher. So, when I grew up a little bit more I realized that it was not an option either. I had no or poor teaching skills. (It was easy for me to reach this conclusion as I used to teach my little brothers and not a single day of teaching had passed without me losing my temper :p) I had no interest in Mathematics till I was in fourth class. May be it was because of my sweet teacher Madam Shagufta that I finally became successful in developing interest in maths. 

I never liked Biology as a subject while I was in Matric. I was quite clear in my mind that I was going to become an engineer. After getting my Matric results, it was made crystal clear that I was going to keep maths in F.Sc. My performance in F.Sc showed that my decision was absolutely right.
And today I am an engineering student. But...............................
My career confusion starts here. It's not that I don't like engineering. The problem is (or is this really a problem?) that I am interested in so many other things. Oh yeah! I want to become a journalist too, a reporter. The reporter's job fascinates me a lot. They dig the information systematically and then compile it, present it in an interesting way. I love it! (Actually I love the mystery-solving part) And then I want to become a writer. "Want to? Want to? You are a writer!" (Never mind! It was the voice of my heart :p) I know that I am not a good writer but for one thing I am sure; I can become a good writer. I have got a potential to. 
And now when I have passed more than half of my engineering course, I think it often that I should have applied for GDP pilot course at least once in my life. *sighs. The time cannot be reversed now....
While my father was telling me about the advantages of becoming a bureaucrat, I said it all of sudden:
umm.... Dad! I want to pass the CSS exam but not for getting bureaucracy...
He was like:
Then?
I want to join the Police department!
was my reply and he was completely shocked.
WHAT?? Police. No, no my child its NOT a good department! NOT at all.... (and the lecture continues..)
 Similarly on a one good day while I was chatting with my mom I dropped my idea on her, "Mom! What if I apply for a job in The Federal Board after graduation?" She raised her eyebrows and snapped, "And you will  do there what? Check papers?" It was enough for me. The horror of checking papers brought me back from my mental picture of working in Federal Board office.
After reading this post you will conclude that I am quite unclear about my career. It is the case. I am unclear. But it doesn't implies that I don't know my destiny. I do. The problem is I don't know the right path to choose that will take me to it. I leave it on my Lord to choose the best path for me........ 

2 comments: